Tag: Penn State Nittany Lions
Posted: September 30, 2014
A look back at Week 5 of the college football season.
1. I was high on UCLA entering the season, picking them to go to the playoff. I seriously reconsidered after seeing their first two games of the year. But Thursday night was a statement win. Perhaps I was too early to write them off. The next two weeks will tell with Utah and Oregon ahead. Mr. Hundley is going to need to play like he did Thursday for the Bruins. He is capable of it, so the Rose Bowl should be excited if it is unbeaten Oregon versus unbeaten UCLA.
2. Florida State struggled against NC State and giving up 41 to the Wolfpack does not seem like a good thing, but I am not off the Seminoles making the playoff. … Read More »
Posted: August 27, 2014
1. The Quest begins Week 1 with the annual Gainesville trip, family in tow. Here’s to hoping it does not cost as much as last years trip to Syracuse….too late! But on the plus side, the kids first Gator game. Let’s hope it’s not another Georgia Southern debacle.
2. Al has no chance of gaining ground in the overall standings this year. I am ahead and not looking back….ever!
3. I love the SEC Network starting off with a bang. Thursday night doubleheader… Texas A&M at South Carolina (great opening game) and then Temple at Vanderbilt (they all can’t be premier games). I hope Aggie fans enjoyed last year, because without Manziel, this year they are going to realize how tough the SEC really is.
4. I came within an hour of being stranded in Europe in … Read More »
Posted: October 29, 2013
Wake Forest at Miami – Miami ekes out another win to remain unbeaten. Next week…Florida State. One team will emerge with their first loss. I know where my money would be.
Connecticut @ Central Florida – Could UConn be the worst team in the country? It is certainly possible as they got spanked by UCF. They do have some opportunities on the schedule to get a win but a winless Huskie team is certainly possible.
Nebraska at Minnesota – The Golden Gophers get the upset and hand the Cornhuskers its second loss of the year, but this one hurts a lot more as it is a conference loss for Nebraska. This ended a 16 game streak the Huskers had on the Gophers who are now bowl eligible.
Western Michigan at Massachusetts – Someone had to win … Read More »
Posted: October 16, 2013
Oregon at Washington – As expected, the Huskies did not get blown out, but the Ducks win comfortably. Washington is a program headed in the right direction, but they just cannot compete with the elite of the Pac12….yet. Oregon just needs to avoid a massive mistake versus Washington State before they head into back to back games against UCLA and Stanford.
Boston College at Clemson – BC was leading this game going into the 4Q. Clemson now has a big showdown with the Seminoles. That will be must see TV.
Stanford at Utah – The Utes get their biggest home win beating a Top 5 team at home for the first time with a big goal line stand at the end of the game. The Utes played a great game and were rewarded … Read More »
. Posted: September 3, 2013
North Carolina at South Carolina – I think everybody got what they expected in this game, at least on a team level. SC was never in jeopardy of losing, but did not quite dominate. The interesting note on this game was the reaction to the play of Jadeveon Clowney. I will reserve judgment until next week. He has earned a pass from me on this one. Let’s see how he plays against Georgia.
Ole Miss at Vanderbilt – This was every bit the game that I thought it would be. This back and forth game kept me awake and riveted. This game could springboard Ole Miss into a very successful season and the top recruiting classes they have brought in, could be as advertised. But it is only one … Read More »
Posted: September 3, 2013
Greetings, and glad the season has finally begun….and begun I mean all the Monday (or Tuesday) morning quarterbacking can begin. I’m probably as good at this, as I am making my weekly picks in our pool. So I am going to take a different spin on it this year. My take away blog will not result in an updated poll, or positional rank of teams….but will just be some random (and in some cases, deep) thoughts. Here goes:
First and foremost, my currently living situation does not have a large enough TV to watch football, nor does the acoustics of the room do the sport any justice. I have made a note that my new man cave (coming to a theatre near you on September 15th), will take care of both. It will also include a fully functioning … Read More »
Posted: July 23, 2013
With NFL training camps opening this past weekend, I am getting really antsy for football season. The first college games kick off on Thursday, August 29 and I have already looked at the schedule.
During the season, I try not to get too far ahead in looking at the schedule and prefer to live in the moment of the current week. But that is just impossible now as there is nothing to keep my interest from wandering to opening weekend.
With that being said, let’s look ahead to some of the better games of the weekend and there are some good ones in Week 1.
Thursday, August 29
Ole Miss @ Vanderbilt – This is a very exciting game and while that would normally be a sarcastic comment with these two teams, this year it is not. These are … Read More »
Penn State school newspaper does a story about College Football Quest
The RV idea that was first hatched in Lubbock, Texas in November 2009 and further solidified in Iowa City last November has come to fruition (despite my belief that it would never happen).
Date: August 18, 2011 | …and this year one of their stops will be Happy Valley, to watch the Nittany Lions take on the Alabama Crimson Tide on Saturday, September 10. This time, they’re bringing a Winnebago and, Botta says slyly, “that could change everything.”