Posted: September 10, 2014
Random thoughts on the upcoming weekend of college football.
1. If you thought last week’s schedule was light, check out this week. Only one game between Top 25 teams…Georgia at South Carolina. I don’t see any other game where a Top 25 team is challenged with the possible exception of East Carolina at Virginia Tech. Not good. Maybe it is a good weekend to score some points with the significant other….nah, bad games are still better than the mall.
2. Syracuse at Central Michigan – First, how is this game in Mt. Pleasant? Second, would you believe that these teams enter the game undefeated. Yup, it is true. That is about the only thing about this game that I find intriguing.
3. Massachusetts at Vanderbilt – One of these teams is going to get its first win. I have no idea who it is. Vanderbilt is a 17 point favorite. The Commodores have scored 10 points in two games while giving up 78. UMass has at least scored 45 while giving up 71. In the old days, I would have called for the 0-0 tie. I guess I could call for a 3-0 score in 10 overtimes, but something tells me this will be a shootout. Probably not!
4. Georgia at South Carolina – This was the game that before the season that to me would decide the SEC East. Georgia is coming in off of a very impressive performance against Clemson. The Gamecocks are limping into this game having not looked very good in a bad loss to Texas A&M and not very good in a win against East Carolina. The Gamecock secondary needs a lot of improvement. The strength of Georgia is its running game. Therefore, the Gamecocks could be in this game. I predicted Georgia to win the SEC East before the season and I see no reason to back off that pick now. I think the Bulldogs win, pulling away in the second half.
5. Illinois at Washington – This is a strange game to see on the schedule. Both teams come in 2-0 having played less than stellar schedules. I liked the Huskies prior to the season but two wins by less than one score to Hawaii and Eastern Washington have me hesitant. The Fighting Illini have beaten Youngstown State and Western Kentucky. I did think they would lose to the Hilltopppers, but it is still not a statement win. In a weekend light on good games, this could be a good one to watch between teams from power conferences. Expect mucho points.
6. UTSA at Oklahoma Sate – I do not think the Roadrunners can stay with the Cowboys, but do not be surprised if the Roadrunners defense slows down the Cowboy offense.
7. USC at Boston College – West coast team traveling east? Let down for the Trojans after beating Stanford? No! The better team wins easily.
8. Tennessee at Oklahoma – Oklahoma is a 21 point favorite. The Sooners are good and the Vols are on the rebound. To me, this is a measuring stick of just how far back the Vols have come. They do not need to win, but playing well on the road against a Top 5 team will do wonders for the confidence which could help in their next game against Georgia. Oklahoma will win, but I am more interested in how the Vols play.
9. I am not sold on the Arizona State Sun Devils and this weeks game against Colorado will not help any. Undefeated against their early schedule is a given, but the next three…UCLA, USC, & Stanford, is the test.