Posted: September 23, 2014
A look back at Week 4 of the college football season.
I will admit that I did not see very much college football this weekend. My job took me to Denmark over the weekend and while you can generally find NFL football in Copenhagen, college football is impossible. I did manage to watch the Gators not be able to play offense or defense but that is about it.
1. The dedication award goes to me. I did the impossible and was able to watch the Gators. This was an epic quest that had me sitting behind the reception desk at my hotel, using an impossibly slow WiFi connection, slingbox, VPN, and iPad to watch the Gators ineptitude. That game should have been 72-0. Alabama alone kept Florida in this game. If Florida loses to Tennessee in two weeks, a very possible scenario the way they are playing, it is time to look to the future and sit Driskel. I can not take this any more.
The rest of my comments are based on score alone so not very deep and will be brief.
2. On Friday, UConn took on South Florida in Tampa. The teams combined for 403 yards of offense. Blake Sims had that in the first quarter against Florida. Not quite, but it certainly seemed like it.
3. Duke has not really played anyone yet, but they sure are putting up points.
4. East Carolina put up 70 on North Carolina. This was a big win for the Pirates. And last week I was critical of myself so this week I will take credit for saying that I saw this coming. East Carolina has been impressive, NC, not so much. Played out like I thought.
5. Mississippi State beat LSU and from what I have seen, it was not as close as the score indicated. I put the Tigers on upset alert in this one and was proved correct. Boy that SEC West is a fierce division.
6. Does Brady Hoke last the season? The quest travels to Michigan next week to see them take on the 3-1 Minnesota Golden Gophers. Could this be Hoke’s last game?
7. The biggest surprise of the weekend to me was Missouri losing to Indiana.
8. California at Arizona – Did the Bears really give up 36 4Q points? Wow! 1200 yards gained in this game. And way to defend a hail mary.