Tag: California Bears
On the way to the bookstore, we ran right into a student protest. The students were protesting the eviction of the student run bookstore. They proceeded to block traffic for approximately 10 minutes chanting “Students over Profits” and “Whose University?
Posted: October 7, 2014
A look back at Week 6 of the college football season.
Well, Week 6 certainly was a crazy one with a bunch of upsets, great games, awful calls, etc. The powers that be need to find a way to spread these games out so we do not have a bunch of dud weeks followed by this, but it certainly was a great day to be plopped onto the couch for 14 hours.
1. The weekend got off to a fast start Thursday night with the Arizona Wildcats moving to 5-0 with an upset of the Oregon Ducks. I had a feeling the Ducks may be in trouble due to their defensive lapses and vegas setting an over under of 77, so I said…. Oregon’s defense has been vulnerable and Arizona is scoring points averaging 42 a game. … Read More »
Posted: September 23, 2014
A look back at Week 4 of the college football season.
I will admit that I did not see very much college football this weekend. My job took me to Denmark over the weekend and while you can generally find NFL football in Copenhagen, college football is impossible. I did manage to watch the Gators not be able to play offense or defense but that is about it.
1. The dedication award goes to me. I did the impossible and was able to watch the Gators. This was an epic quest that had me sitting behind the reception desk at my hotel, using an impossibly slow WiFi connection, slingbox, VPN, and iPad to watch the Gators ineptitude. That game should have been 72-0. Alabama alone kept Florida in this game. If Florida … Read More »
Posted: September 17, 2014
Random thoughts on the upcoming weekend of college football.
1. The weekend gets off to a fast start on Thursday with the Auburn Tigers traveling to Manhattan, Kansas to take on the Kansas State Wildcats. This is one of two games between top 25 teams and it is in prime time on Thursday night. Both teams come in 2-0. Auburn’s easy week 1 win over Arkansas looks even better after Arkansas shredded Texas Tech. I still am not sure what to make of this Wildcat team. I guess we find out Thursday. Bill Synder Stadium should be rocking for this one.
2. On Friday, UConn takes on South Florida in Tampa. Unfortunately for the Bulls, there are probably 10 high school games within 5 miles of Raymond James that will be better … Read More »
Posted: September 9, 2014
1. I thought I was off to a good week, with the UTSA Roadrunners taking the Arizona Wildcats to the wire as I expected. Arizona was fortunate to get the win in this game. I still am waiting to understand how UTSA got this game at home.
2. The Pitt Panthers can run the ball…very well. They will be a force in the ACC Coastal, especially since North Carolina is not as good as I thought, at least at this point in the season. The Coastal is clearly the step sister to the Atlantic, but Pitt will make noise if they continue to run the ball this well.
3. The Cornhuskers got very lucky to beat McNeese State. If only the Cowboys could tackle with their arms instead of shoulders, that game was in … Read More »
Posted: September 2, 2014
1. The first Quest trip of the year got off to a lovely start (picture as much sarcasm as possible and then multiply by 100). Eleven of us sat in the Swamp for 5 hours and saw 10 seconds of football. Thank you mother nature. I can’t fault the officials for postponing / canceling this game but it sure did suck. The first Gator game for the kids was not to be this year. A lot of money was spent flying, staying, eating, and shopping in Gainesville and we had a good time, but we did not see anything more than one kickoff. I certainly hope this is not foreshadowing of the year to come. Stat of the night…In the six hours around kickoff, there were over 1,100 lightning strikes … Read More »
Oregon was THE trip I had been looking forward to since before the quest was a twinkle in my eyes.
Posted: October 1, 2013
Miami at South Florida – I only mention this game because South Florida may be the worst team in D1. This game was 49-7 at one point. I bet Coach Taggert misses WKU right about now.
Oklahoma State at West Virginia – Huge bounce back win for WVU and completely unexpected by me. This is a bad loss by OSU and significantly dents their chances at a Big12 title as the closing schedule is Texas, Baylor, and Oklahoma. The Cowboys needed to be undefeated in the Big12 entering that stretch. WVU may have found their QB in FSU transfer Clint Trickett, but it took 2 loses to get there.
South Carolina at Central Florida – How did this game come about in Orlando? Through halftime UCF was the far better team. But at the half, … Read More »
Posted: September 3, 2013
Greetings, and glad the season has finally begun….and begun I mean all the Monday (or Tuesday) morning quarterbacking can begin. I’m probably as good at this, as I am making my weekly picks in our pool. So I am going to take a different spin on it this year. My take away blog will not result in an updated poll, or positional rank of teams….but will just be some random (and in some cases, deep) thoughts. Here goes:
First and foremost, my currently living situation does not have a large enough TV to watch football, nor does the acoustics of the room do the sport any justice. I have made a note that my new man cave (coming to a theatre near you on September 15th), will take care of both. It will also include a fully functioning … Read More »
Date: August 29, 2013 | …and this year one of their stops will be Autzen Stadium, to watch the preseason #3 rated Oregon Ducks host California in one of the loudest, best known stadium experiences out there. “We’ve wanted to get out west to Oregon and Autzen Stadium for several years now and the schedule just never worked out,” Jarrett mentions.
Posted – July 1, 2013
So where do we go from here? The sporting world is officially at a standstill in my opinion now that hockey and basketball are done for the year, even more so noticeable after having very active playoffs years for our local teams. Thankfully for that, or I’d have been posting this is May!! And I am sorry to insult baseball fans, and more specifically, our baseball fan followers, but really…you have a 160+ game season that runs 7 months!?! It is just so hard to get into and up for a game every day, 3 hours of pitch, catch…pitch, catch…and when your team is the Mets……well, enough said. At least Matt Harvey pitches every 5 days, right?
So football season starts in about 60 days, and the question is, what do we do now? Our schedule is … Read More »
Date: June 26, 2013 | First up on the list of new venues, the boys take a trip almost as far west as they will travel over the lifetime of this Quest, to Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon, home of the Ducks. This will be the first Pac-12 game they have been to. Both are looking forward to seeing if the reality of Autzen lives up to the hype as one of the best college football venues in the nation.
Posted: May 16, 2013
The College Football Quest machine has been hard at work the past few weeks making all the travel arrangements that go into our quest schedule. Once the games are selected, I get right to work trying to secure our travel arrangements. Sometimes this goes smoothly, other times, not so much. But other than Al booking a hotel for the wrong day, nothing has very seriously gone wrong….yet!
Tennessee @ Florida – September 21
There is no harder travel reservation to get than a hotel room in Gainesville. Since this is an annual trip we book a hotel in mid season for the following season. Hotel is booked. Flights to Jacksonville are also secured as is a rental car. Jacksonville is the preferred airport for the trip to Gainesville but cost often overrides and we typically end up … Read More »